AA Bronson: A History of Printed Matter
September 22, 2008 / AA Bronson presents a history of artist books, Art Metrople, and Printed Matter as part of Learn to Read Art: A History of Printed Matter at Artspeak, Vancouver. The exhibition features a selection of Printed Matter’s archives of artist books and editions from 1976 to the present.
Printed Matter, New York, is the largest non-profit organization dedicated to the examination and interrogation of the changing role of artists’ publications in the landscape of contemporary art. Founded in 1976 by a collective of artists and art workers, it is recognized as an essential voice in the increasingly diversified art world conversations and debates.
AA Bronson is a New York based artist, curator, healer and writer. He is currently Executive Director of Printed Matter and the NY Art Book Fair. In 1969 he founded General Idea with Felix Partz and Jorge Zontal; they lived and worked together for 25 years, founding FILE Magazine and Art Metropole, and exhibiting internationally. Since 1994 AA has had a solo practice, including solo exhibitions at Vienna Secession; The Power Plant, Toronto; Whitney and Montreal Biennials; MCA Chicago, and The Morris and Helen Belkin Art Gallery, Vancouver.
Many thanks to Artspeak for allowing us to present this podcast.
- Institutions by Artists: Session One 2013-03-27
- Walter Benjamin: Piet Mondrian 63–69 2013-03-13
- Institutions by Artists: Should artists professio... 2012-11-06
- Institutions by Artists: Is there a space for art... 2012-10-29
- Melanie Gilligan: Intangible Economies 2012-03-12
- Hadley+Maxwell: It seemed like a good idea at the time 2012-02-20
- Antonia Hirsch: Intangible Economies 2012-01-30
- Tania Bruguera: Making Space 2011-01-10
- Tamsin Dillon: Making Space 2010-07-01
- Barbara Cole: Making Space 2010-05-31
- Silvia Kolbowski: Dear Silvia... July 2009 2010-01-11
- Diedrich Diederichsen: Judgment, Objecthood, Temp... 2009-08-07
- Maria Fusco: Say Who I Am: Or A Broad Private Wink 2009-07-31
- Tom Morton: Three or Four Types of Intimacy (and ... 2009-07-24
- William Wood: Notes on the Demise and Persistence... 2009-07-17
- Tirdad Zolghadr: Judgment and Art Criticism 2009-07-10
- AA Bronson: A History of Printed Matter 2008-09-22