Recent & Upcoming Events
Institutions by Arists Launch at Et al.
April 7, 2013, 5 pm / Fillip is pleased to announce a special launch event marking the release of Institutions by Artists: Volume One at Et al., San Francisco, on April 7, 2013, at 5 pm. Join book editors Jeff Khonsary and Kristina Lee Podesva and local contributors for an informal occasion celebrating the book’s launch.
In conjunction with the launch, we will screen Piet Mondrian 63–69, a film of a lecture delivered by Walter Benjamin at the Marxist Center in Ljubljana in 1986. In this talk, Benjamin presents several works of the abstract artist ranging in date from 1963 to 1996. This film is presented in conjunction with Recent Writings by Walter Benjamin, a forthcoming book by New Documents.
Produced alongside a three-day international conference organized this past fall in Vancouver, Canada, Institutions by Artists addresses the performance and promise of contemporary global artist-run centres and initiatives within the historical contexts that saw their emergence. Contributors include Vincent Bonin, AA Bronson, Luis Camnitzer, Barnaby Drabble, Makan Space, Pelin Tan, Vector Association, Anton Vidokle, Keith Wallace, and Pan Wendt, among many others.
Institutions by Artists is co-published by Fillip and the Pacific Association of Artist Run Centres and is the third title in Fillip’s Folio Series, which presents new and previously published writing by critics, artists, and curators that engages specific and recurring questions on international contemporary art.
620 Kearny St.
Institutions by Artists: Session One
March 27, 2013 / The histories of artist-run initiatives inextricably belong to the sociopolitical contexts in which they develop, but a purely historical review of these initiatives and contexts elides their critical significance to artistic production, presentation, and discourse even while these histories are yet to be written, revised, and completed. In this session, presenters will compare and contrast key episodes from the annals of artist-run initiatives against a range of topics, including censorship, historical re-enactments and reconstructions, as well as established and problematic narratives of institutional critique, among other considerations. By looking retrospectively at these moments through the thematic lenses of the conference, participants will go beyond the mere facts and fictions of institution building to generate new questions about artist-run initiatives and practices today.
Jennifer Cane and Al Razutis
Louise Hervé Chloé Maillet
International Institute for Important Items
Center for Historical Reenactments
This talk was originally presented in October, 2012, as part of Institutions by Artists, organized by Fillip, The Pacific Association of Artist Run Centres, and The Artist-Run Centres and Collectives Conference.
Previous News and Events
- Intangible Economies at Artists Space 2013-02-07
- Institutions by Artists 2012-10-12
- Intangible Economies at Art Berlin Contemporary 2012-09-16
- Sumi Ink Club 2012-08-18
- Grouper: Sleep 2012-08-16
- Robert Ashley Speaking Thru Will Holder 2012-06-14
- Fillip 16: Berlin Launch 2012-05-30
- Fillip 16: Toronto Launch 2012-05-01
- Pa/per View Art Book Fair 2012-03-23
- Institutions by Artists: Session One 2013-03-27
- Walter Benjamin: Piet Mondrian 63–69 2013-03-13
- Institutions by Artists: Should artists profession... 2012-11-06
- Institutions by Artists: Is there a space for art ... 2012-10-29
- Melanie Gilligan: Intangible Economies 2012-03-12
- Hadley+Maxwell: It seemed like a good idea at the time 2012-02-20
- Antonia Hirsch: Intangible Economies 2012-01-30
- Tania Bruguera: Making Space 2011-01-10
- Tamsin Dillon: Making Space 2010-07-01
- Barbara Cole: Making Space 2010-05-31
- Silvia Kolbowski: Dear Silvia... July 2009 2010-01-11
- Diedrich Diederichsen: Judgment, Objecthood, Tempo... 2009-08-07
- Maria Fusco: Say Who I Am: Or A Broad Private Wink 2009-07-31
- Tom Morton: Three or Four Types of Intimacy (and P... 2009-07-24
- William Wood: Notes on the Demise and Persistence ... 2009-07-17
- Tirdad Zolghadr: Judgment and Art Criticism 2009-07-10
- AA Bronson: A History of Printed Matter 2008-09-22