News & Events
August 16, 2012, 8pm / Fillip is pleased to present Sleep, a site-specific sound installation by Grouper in Vancouver’s Stanley Park this Thursday, August 16, at 8 pm. Grouper is the solo project of Portland-based electro-acoustic noise musician Liz Harris, who uses collaged magnetic tape to create hauntingly resonant sonic environments.
Sleep was initially performed at the Berkeley Art Museum in 2011. In Vancouver, the piece will be performed in an abandoned polar bear enclosure—a space decommissioned in 1996 following the closure of the Vancouver Zoo. The enclosure is located just south of the Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park off Avison Way (map).
This is a free performance and space will be extremely limited.
Thursday’s performance coincides with the release of SLEEP (Fragment), a new 12” record by Grouper, published by Fillip in an edition of 800 on 180 gsm white vinyl. A limited number of advanced copies of the record will be available for purchase at the performance.
An after party and record release will be hosted by Solder and Sons following Thursday’s performance.
News and Events Archives
- Institutions by Arists Launch at Et al. 2013-04-07
- Intangible Economies at Artists Space 2013-02-07
- Institutions by Artists 2012-10-12
- Intangible Economies at Art Berlin Contemporary 2012-09-16
- Sumi Ink Club 2012-08-18
- Grouper: Sleep 2012-08-16
- Robert Ashley Speaking Thru Will Holder 2012-06-14
- Fillip 16: Berlin Launch 2012-05-30
- Fillip 16: Toronto Launch 2012-05-01
- Pa/per View Art Book Fair 2012-03-23
- It's a Book, It's a Stage, It's a Public Place 2012-03-17
- Destroy All Monsters Screening 2012-02-25
- Fillip at ARCO Experts Forum 2012-02-18
- Intangible Economies 2011-11-18
- Quiz Night 2011-10-12
- David Horvitz: Room 129 2011-06-02
- Recent Publications 2011-04-28
- Of Times Recent and Distant 2011-03-30
- Secondary Information: The Persistence and Absence of Criticism 2011-03-19
- The AAAARG Library 2010-11-04
- Everything is Dangerous 2010-10-28
- Fillip 12 Now Available 2010-10-01
- Unter dem Motto 2010-09-03
- International Chilliwack Biennial 2010-07-28
- Motto Storefront: Ooga Booga 2010-07-17
- Motto Storefront: Working Format 2010-07-10
- Motto Storefront: Metahaven 2010-07-03
- Motto Storefront: Oscar Tuazon 2010-06-26
- Motto Storefront: Andjeas Ejiksson 2010-06-19
- Motto Storefront: Avalanche Launch and Screening 2010-06-05
About Fillip Events
Fillip presents ongoing public programming focussing on talks and facilitated discussions by emerging local and international artists and writers. These local events are complimented Fillip’s regular participation in international book fairs, exhibitions, and conferences.
Unless otherwise noted, events hosted by Fillip are free and open to the public. Space is typically limited, so visitors are encouraged to arrive early to guarantee a seat. Unless an alternate location is given, events are held at Fillip’s Vancouver studio at 305 Cambie Street. Please buzz or call 604 781 4417 for access.