News & Events
Motto Storefront: Stuart Bailey
May 22, 2010, 2pm / Motto Storefront transforms Artspeak into a temporary space for the sale, presentation, and discussion of contemporary art publishing. The selection of printed matter for the store has been made by Motto, a Berlin and Zürich-based bookstore and distributor specializing in experimental, small run, and self-published artist books, magazines, and fanzines.
Motto Storefront provides the context for a series of related public programming intended to create a sustained dialogue within Vancouver on issues related to the production and consumption of art publishing. Formed around an ongoing, ad hoc residency program with international publishers, designers, artists, and booksellers, this series will take the form of weekly talks, workshops, and launches investigating alternative retail models, self-initiated design practices, and small scale publishing initiatives.
On Saturday, May 22 at 2pm, Stuart Bailey will offer a series of thoughts on the term “applied art” and how it describes the spirit and interests of Dexter Sinister.
About the Speaker
Stuart Bailey graduated from the University of Reading in 1994, from the Werkplaats Typografie in 2000 – and co-founded the ongoing journal Dot Dot Dot in the same year. His work circumscribes various aspects of graphic design, writing and editing, most consistently in the form of publications made in close collaboration with artists. Since 2002 he has worked with Will Holder under the compound name Will Stuart on a broader range of projects, including theatre and performance. Since 2006 he has worked together with David Reinfurt as Dexter Sinister, also the name of their basement space on New York’s Lower East Side which operates as a “just–in–time workshop and occasional bookstore.”
News and Events Archives
- Institutions by Arists Launch at Et al. 2013-04-07
- Intangible Economies at Artists Space 2013-02-07
- Institutions by Artists 2012-10-12
- Intangible Economies at Art Berlin Contemporary 2012-09-16
- Sumi Ink Club 2012-08-18
- Grouper: Sleep 2012-08-16
- Robert Ashley Speaking Thru Will Holder 2012-06-14
- Fillip 16: Berlin Launch 2012-05-30
- Fillip 16: Toronto Launch 2012-05-01
- Pa/per View Art Book Fair 2012-03-23
- It's a Book, It's a Stage, It's a Public Place 2012-03-17
- Destroy All Monsters Screening 2012-02-25
- Fillip at ARCO Experts Forum 2012-02-18
- Intangible Economies 2011-11-18
- Quiz Night 2011-10-12
- David Horvitz: Room 129 2011-06-02
- Recent Publications 2011-04-28
- Of Times Recent and Distant 2011-03-30
- Secondary Information: The Persistence and Absence of Criticism 2011-03-19
- The AAAARG Library 2010-11-04
- Everything is Dangerous 2010-10-28
- Fillip 12 Now Available 2010-10-01
- Unter dem Motto 2010-09-03
- International Chilliwack Biennial 2010-07-28
- Motto Storefront: Ooga Booga 2010-07-17
- Motto Storefront: Working Format 2010-07-10
- Motto Storefront: Metahaven 2010-07-03
- Motto Storefront: Oscar Tuazon 2010-06-26
- Motto Storefront: Andjeas Ejiksson 2010-06-19
- Motto Storefront: Avalanche Launch and Screening 2010-06-05
About Fillip Events
Fillip presents ongoing public programming focussing on talks and facilitated discussions by emerging local and international artists and writers. These local events are complimented Fillip’s regular participation in international book fairs, exhibitions, and conferences.
Unless otherwise noted, events hosted by Fillip are free and open to the public. Space is typically limited, so visitors are encouraged to arrive early to guarantee a seat. Unless an alternate location is given, events are held at Fillip’s Vancouver studio at 305 Cambie Street. Please buzz or call 604 781 4417 for access.